RE: S band for 6 bucks

Hi All:

I replaced the crystal in the Cal Amp 13215 downconverter today and all
went very well.  Observing the LO output on a spectrum analyzer, the
signal is strong, clean, & stable.  The crystal was manufactured by JAN
and is slightly low in freq.  The LO is 2.25588 MHz. instead of 2.256
MHz.  I prefer "International Crystal" crystals, but I already had the
JAN crystal.

With an input level of -70 dB, the 144 MHz. IF output level is -38 dB.
This is the same level that the unmodified Cal Amp 130215 downconverter
shows with an input of 2.5 GHz.

I retuned the combline input filter and touched up the LO reference
crystal's trimmer capacitor to get the LO as close as possible to 2.256
GHz.  I have not made, nor do I plan to make any other adjustments or
modifications to the downconverter.

I have modified several Drake, AIDC, and other models of Cal Amp
downconverters.  This downconverter is the simplest one that I have
modified so far.

The seven-pole combline filter on the input is very impressive.
Properly
tuned, it should really help to keep unwanted signals out of the
downconverter's input.

Thanks again, Drew for the "heads up" on the $6 S-band downconverters.

73,

Woody
KJ4SO