Re: TH-DTA(G)

My thanks to all who responded to my queries on the Kenwood
TH-D7A(G).

After a week of playing with it I have returned it to the
dealer to be exchanged for an ICOM W-32A !!

Three main reasons - and not in any significant order...

First, there are only three APRS stations active in my area,
all three are stationary, two repeating the same station data
and one giving weather data. The ISS passes are too
infrequent to justify keeping the HT.

Second, I found that the Kenwood is not a true dual band
unit! I could not monitor my local NWS on 162.45 MHz and
simultaneously communicate on the local SKYWARN (or any
local) repeater.

Third, the ICOM will let me continuously track the downlink
doppler with just a 'click' of the appropriate VFO knob.
This should make my attempts at copying anyone on Field Day a
little easier....

I'm not 'dissing' the Kenwood - it is a very nice unit - just
that it turned out not to fit my needs; and also to notify
those that cared that I'll not be 'bugging' them for more
data..

Thanks again

Dave KK7SS