Re: Galileo project

owner-AMSAT-BB-digest@amsat.org writes:

For what it is worth I could point out that we already share the abnd  with
satellite based global navigation system that has been operational for  more
than ten years and also, in Europe at least, with tens of megawatt erp  ATC
radars......

Until we see all these 24/7 radars moving away from  the 1240-1300MHz segment
then I dont think our occasional relative qrp  operations are likely to be
even detected.

================                    =======================            ===

.......And the pendulum swings once again.

L band uplinks have suffered pulse type interference for many years
seriously compromising the L modes on AO-13 and necessitating sharp filters and  high
IP3 receivers on A0-40.

If the radars are relocating, then that is a positive benefit. (Although I
suspect the need to 'relocate' may not exist outside Europe)  However,  the
likely consequence of Galileo is that Molinya or GTO  orbit AMSATs with an L band
RX may have to change schedule as they pass through  the Galileo
constellation at 23,600km. - There's an interesting calculation for  someone.....What's
the total power received in a typical transponder bandwidth  at various
distances from Galileo and what are the consequences for power drain  and transponder
operation.

I look forward to the two talks at Surrey.

73

David  G0MRF