Re: Galileo project.

Hello Chris / Group (G3ltf for info)

I'm sure we all wish SSTL well with its continued expansion and involvement
in  prestigious projects like Galileo.

However, some caution is required as the Galileo project is not  without
controversy.

1) The projects E6 transmission channel is located between 1260 and  1300MHz.
In 2003 the WARC made this an allocation with primary status and with no
power flux density limits.

_http://www.southgatearc.org/articles/galileo.htm_
(http://www.southgatearc.org/articles/galileo.htm)

The Galileo system uses spread spectrum and currently specifies a low
overall power density at the Earths surface.  However I wonder what the  effect will
be on the L band receivers of satellites like Eagle and P3E on  1269MHz as
they pass close by the Galileo constellation at 23,600km?
In close proximity the E6 transmissions will have some detrimental effect.
They would certainly raise the noise floor and cause a higher power drain on
the  transponders.

>From the ESA site....
"consists of 30 satellites (27 operational + 3 spares), positioned in three
circular Medium Earth Orbit (MEO) planes at 23616 km altitude above the Earth,
 and at an inclination to the orbital planes of 56 degrees with reference to
the  equatorial plane."

2) There is a report that this is a joint project with China ($259m). Not
universally popular.

3) In the UK there has just been an announcement that our government is
planning a road pricing scheme based on paying by the mile. Price dependant on
time you drive and the route.  It is highly likely this will be one of the
services provided by Galileo.

So, I make that a rather smaller 'hooray'  from me.

Regards

David   G0MRF

From:  ChrisGW6KZZ@aol.com
Subject: [amsat-bb] Fwd: [esa_general] Galileo test  satellites six months
from launch

Congratulations to Prof.Martin  Sweeting, Chris G7UPN/ZL2TPO and all at  SSTL
on the new satellites  in development for ESA test bed version 2 satellites
be built and  launched within six months.

Details are now published on  the ESA  web site below:
_http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMFJ41DU8E_index_0.html_
(http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMFJ41DU8E_index_0.html)

Good luck with  the launches and  operations.................................