CalAmp DownConverter Info

Since the responses to my post indicated that I should post this response
for all - here's what I have...

The unit is for the MMDS/ITFS band which is 2500 to 2690 MHz. This is the
instructional TV band also used by some wireless pay TV services.

I purchased the unit for parts: connectors, IC's, transistors, a great
weather protected cast housing, etc., knowing that conversion would be
questionable and I think you'll agree.

The biggest problem is the 7 pole combline filter right at the input
covering 2.5 to 2.7 GHz. Tuning it down to 2.4 GHz proved unsatisfactory
since the tuning screws were already almost touching the resonators.

The LNA uses a device yet to be identified followed by a R37 (believed this
is a NEC device).

The mixer uses a pair of Schottky diodes (smd = C2) and a 3 dB branch line
coupler. This circuit is typically somewhat broadband and should work at
2401 MHz.

This is followed by a 100 to 350 MHz IF amplifier which has both high pass
and low pass filter elements for the IF band.

The unit is internally down regulated to 12 volts. Power is applied via a
bias tee to the type "f" 75 ohm output connector. While the type "f"
connector and output circuit has been designed for 75 ohms, driving 50 ohms
is no problem.

The LO is a crystal controlled PLL using a 2380 MHz VCO divided by 256 by a
Fujitsu MB506 (divide by 256) and locked to a crystal at 9.29687 MHz.

To convert the unit to 2401 would require removing (by-passing) the input
filter, some slight input amplifier matching circuit tweaking, and
conversion of the LO to 2257 Mhz. This, in my opinion, could only be done by
one having the expertise and test equipment. Looking at the 2380 MHz VCO,
I'm sure it could be pulled down to 2257, but again the right equipment and
knowledge is needed.

But I'm happy with the purchase (I got 2) since the N connectors alone are
worth the price.

If I can answer any other questions - email me.

Regards...Bill - N6GHz