High school demo. AO51 15:30z to 15:45z June. 9

Gang:

On this coming Thursday from 15:30 to 15:45z, I will be doing a
demonstration of satellite communications for a grade 12 Physics class at
Tantramar Regional High School in Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada. Under
my control, the students will operate 'half-duplex' with a handheld antenna
and a TH-D7AG. I tested the half-duplex operation last night and received
good reports. The bird will be west of us, giving fine communications
across NA, and with Echo in High Power mode, we should have very good
conditions.

Our callsign will be VE9QRP, and the grid square is FN75. (I will QSL
anyone who contacts us, but my cards are still at the printers -- apologies
to anyone who is anticipating a card from me.)

I have also been given a one-hour class to teach tomorrow, Wed., to prepare
the students. I plan to make this an learn-by-doing experience for them.
After a general introduction, I'll create teams that are responsible for
pointing, timing, doing the talking, logging, etc. I hope to incorporate
three 'experiments' in the event: 1) yagi antennas -- does the signal fade
if it is pointed away from the proper azimuth?; 2) radiation polarization
-- does rotating the antenna make a difference?; 3) doppler shift -- does
the receive frequency drop as the pass progresses?

I hope that operators will be patient with the novices on this end, and
that the rest of you will not mind them spending so much time on the air.

73, VE9QRP
--
Bruce Robertson, Associate Professor and Acting Head
Dept. of Classics, Mount Allison University