Re: HT question...

Dave G. wrote:
> Due to old growth trees, residential power lines, cable
> drops, etc., etc., I cannot 'see' any bird that is below 45
> degree elevation except for a small 55 degree segment to the
> east where I can get down to 30 degree.
> . I have decided that I have to get out into the open to try
> to work them... I already have my Arrow antenna   :^)
> So now I'm looking at getting a (handheld) portable rig...
>
> Not wishing to start any 'Flame Wars' but I need to resolve a
> question before committing my hard-earned (Social Security)
> cash to a dealer.....
>
> The FT-817 is out as I know it is not dual RX.
> That (according to the catalogues) leaves the ICOM IC-W32A,
> Kenwood TH-F6A and the Yaesu VX-7R all listed as being dual
> receive...
You can use the FT-817.  It is possible to run half duplex.  The FT817
has how to run FT sats in the manual.  I will be getting one in a day or
 so.

>>From reading the archives... Am I correct in saying that the
> IC-W32A is the only one that can transmit on one frequency
> for the uplink  and simultaneously monitor the downlink and
> is therefore usable for the birds ??
You should be able to do this.  you will need to use some type of
headphone so as to avoid feedback from the speaker in the handheld to
the built in mike.  I use the ICW32 in half duplex mode and have good
luck on the birds for several years.

Ron