RE: Rohn / Radian clarification

Ed -

I believe I need to clarify your statement about Rohn - which is incorrect -
and other amateurs may be aware of developments with Rohn over past couple of
years.

I grew up west of Peoria (long time HQ of Rohn) and had several friends /
classmates who worked for them through the years.

1.  Rohn has been in business over 40 years (and was started by a local
investors after WW2).  Motorola (Mr. Gavin) played a role in using Rohn towers
for the expanding land mobile business after WW2.  Over the past 2 decades
Rohn was owned by a couple of conglomerates --  UNARCO being the best known
and advertised - and better known for mfg. the metal grocery carts used by
retailers.

2. While, I won't specifically blame UNARCO, I am aware that their management
caused grew upheaval at the Rohn tower operations at Peoria during the 1990s.
It is no secret that Rohn "missed" (appropriate "Monopole" designs/products)
for the cellular tower "boom" in the late 1980s and 1990s - when needed.
Today, they do have a monopole product.

3. Thomas Shelby purchase the Rohn "BX" tower series a few years ago (and is
still making this tower series)
http://www.antennasystems.com/towers.html

4. Rohn established a manufacturing operation in Nappanee. Indiana in the
1990s  -- which is now the "Nello" mfg. location.  I
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/nello_tower.htm
 think that this was "spun off or sold" either just before or during the
bankruptcy.  Nello is mfg. "N" series of towers that are compatible with the
Rohn "G" series.

"World Tower" a company in Mayfield, Kentucky is supposedly making a W25G
tower product that is compatible?? with both Nello and Rohn
http://www.worldtower.com/

5. In December of 2003, Radian was the successful bidder for the assets of
ROHN Industries (during the bankruptcy proceedings).  Radian expanded its
tower manufacturing capacity through the acquisition of the ROHN production
plant (main one) located in Peoria IL
There was some disruption of Rohn product shipments during this brief
changeover in early 2004 - but this NOT the case today.
http://www.rohn.net/

6. Radian is producing Rohn tower at the same Peoria location Rohn has always
been made at !
http://www.rohn.net/ROHNNET/rohnnet2004/html2004/index.html

If you have any further questions, Mr. Mark Triplett at 1 972 669 5175 is the
Radian / Rohn sales representative for Alaska, the Western US / Western
Canada

w9gb

=============================
Dick and Kevin,

The thrust bearing model no. sounds very much like a Rohn Tower part
number.  You probably know that Rohn has essentially gone out of business
(another tower company is producing a reasonable(?) copy).  My guess Glen
Martin was supplied by Rohn.

I have one of these bearings on my Glen Martin Hazer-4's.  I hope that it
will not be too difficult to find tower thrust bearings in the future, as I
have a couple more towers to "plant".  I will print Kevin's information for
my file....thanks!

73's,
Ed - KL7UW  <new call>