From: John Henderson [mailto:jah@ec.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 7:35 PM
To: 'James C. Hall, MD'
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Orbital velocity question

I finally derived the equation in the Journal and it is correct.

Hope I can type this clearly....

The balancing force on a satellite at distance r is:

                        (GMm)/r**2 = mw**2r

G = gravity at surface, M = Earth mass  m=sat mass  r=distance from center
of Earth  w= angular velocity of sat

The Orbital Velocity  found from using the above and orb velocity :

v =  rw and g = GM/R**2 where g is gravity at sat and R is earth radius.

Solving the forced equation for wr we get SqRT(GM/r) =wr

Therefore v = SqRT (GM/R); solve g=GM/R**2  for GM we get g(R**2)

Substitute in v= SqRT (GM/r) GM=g(R**2) and you get:

            V = SqRT (( gR**2)/r)

73,  John

N4NAB/ FM14lq

AMSAT # 32411