From: Ken Ernandes [mailto:n2wwd@mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 7:22 AM
To: James C. Hall, MD; amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Orbital velocity question

Jamie -

I my copy of the Journal, but a generic equation for orbital speed is:

v^2/Mu = 2/r - 1/a

v  = speed (i.e., velocity magnitude)
Mu = gravitational parameter for attracting body (Earth = 398600.5
km^3/sec^2)
r  = instantaneous orbital radial position magnitude
a  = orbital semi-major axis

Does this help?

73, Ken Ernandes, N2WWD