Re: RE: Time to throw your az-el rotors out?

 The FPS-117 phased array is still in use worldwide. Also known as the
pencil beam, it has 42 phased components. We thought the FAA was going to
use it for it's ARSR-4 (replacement for the ARSR-3 radar). I even added code
to one of my radar recording and performance programs and came up with a
primary (search) height parameter of within 400' averaged over target track
life, at the Gibbsboro, NJ 117 test site. This meets or exceeds the reported
Mode C beacon performance for the same track. The FAA was considering using
search height at the time, but decided not to as it would be too cost
prohibitive to replace all our existing radar systems. The ARSR-4 replaced
only 42 of them. The ARSR-4 also has a search height function. I don't think
it is as good as the FPS-117's. We don't look at the ARSR-4's search height.

73 Jeff kb2m