[Fwd: Re: Time to throw your az-el rotors out?]

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:01:45 -0500
From: Andrew Carter <acarter3@nd.edu>
To: Joe Fitzgerald <jfitzgerald@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Time to throw your az-el rotors out?

Joe Fitzgerald wrote:
> k0vty@juno.com wrote:
>

>> Does the fusion require real time or can it be delayed,  is the question.
>>

> As usual in engineering, it depends.  Suppose you are collecting
> telemetry data from a LEO. Spending a couple of hours crunching data
> from a 15 minute pass isn't too much of a problem.  If you were trying
> to hold a conversation it would be!
>
> -Joe KM1P

Joe,

Sure, we can spend hours crunching data, but if we need to look at that
volcanic eruption or that hurricane, we need that data fast. I think
that it wouldn't take long at all. Alot of the processing (e.g. which
signal sounds better?), can be done on the fly. The computer can earmark
what needs to be tied together. Given the speed of today's PCs, this
could be done quickly with a parallel system.

Ham Radio Application: Digipeat information pulled from these stationary
arrays! After it is processed, we can all share in the wealth the
weather  satellites provide, and all you need is to be near digipeater.
I do not know much about how those packet clusters worked (I am a pretty
new ham), but I think Hams could use this array technology.

KC9BOH

--
Andrew Carter

Cell: (847) 815-8600