Re: Why V/S in stead of U/S

Hi Jeff,

Yes, sort of.  I did the mods, but with a different choice of crystal
frequency.  The modification consisted of replacing the crystal, adjusting
the one capacitor in the PLL circuit, and adjusting the trimmer to tune it
to the right frequency.  Another ham helped with the last two steps, as the
capacitor change involves SMT rework that is a little touchy, and he has the
test equipment to get the frequency really close.  The diode-and-resistor
trick for a signal generator works surprisingly well, so you really don't
need the test equipment.  And if the PLL doesn't run, tweek the position of
the cap ever so slightly.

I am lucky & cursed to have an Icom R7000 all-mode scanner.  Prior to
AO-40's launch there was a lot of uncertainty which uplink would be used
with the S-band downlinks, so I opted to modify my Drake for an IF frequency
of 2100 mhz (xtal at 8203.125 mhz).  That puts the 2401 mhz satellite band
within the 2880's unmodified IF at 301 mhz, which is comfortably away from
both V & U bands, works with the R7000, and gives me the lucky option to
work either mode.  It also makes the math easy for figuring where the bird
should be.

Of course, I'm cursed because the R7000 is pretty deaf, compared to most
modern ham rigs.  I spent my AO-40 years at S-zero on the meter.  Still lots
of fun, and I gained experience in making better antennas :-).

If you're interested, pictures at http://home.jps.net/~gregd/hamsite.htm

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH

Has anyone actually done the 430 MHz mod to the 2880 Drake described here...

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/m-arai/gkz/sband/mod32e.htm

73 Jeff kb2m