Re: Why V/S in stead of U/S

At 08:39 AM 5/25/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>I agree with Maggie --- especially on two points...
>
>> I don't consider it an "entry point" either. "Cost-of
>> entry" (by which I meant "entry to S downlink operations")
>> doesn't mean quite the same thing as "entry level".
>
>I have an FT847 -- therefore I already have 144/432 transmit
>and receive capability without a need to acquire further
>equipment. Which means I am at "entry level", which leads to
>Maggie's next point..
>
>> Look, people,major headache if you already equipped for U/S on a
>> shoestring. Obviously a lot of you have an equipment budget
>> where that's not an issue for you, so you can quit explaining
>> to poor old Maggie why she's wrong.
>
>I am on Social Security with a House Payment to make as well
>as Utilities. Insurance and Medical Bills (I'm NOT
>complaining - just explaining) which leaves very little
>moolah for other uses...
>
>And as for Andrews' comment
>>>On a personal note, I don't know any sat ops with S band
>>>that do not have a second 2m FM transmitter.
>
>There appears to be a minor problem... If you have S band
>then you already have a second 2M FM transmitter (I do not
>have one!!) which means additional hardware to acquire if you
>do not already have one!!
>
>Yes! I *CAN* and *DO* still build antennae from wire and wood
>and PVC tubing - but what about a tower (don't have one) to
>clear the trees surrounding this city lot, a rotator for the
>beams(Buy??), a downconverter to front end my FT847 (Buy??),
>a transverter kit (Buy??)... and all the rest of the
>stuff....
>
>I do not think that I am the only AMSAT member to be in a
>financial bind... I'm not that special...
>
>I am definitely all for supporting the experimenters',
>sitting on the cutting edge of technology, pushing the
>envelope, I was there myself once... but please do not forget
>those of us who cannot, for whatever reason, join them... we
>would also like to continue to enjoy using this communication
>method.
>
>Just my $0.02 worth..
>
>(turn Whine mode 'OFF')
>
>Dave KK7SS
>----

Dave,

That is why I heartily support inclusion of mode-U/V (old mode-B) for the
folks that have the basic SSB station.  I like all the extra mw bands but
that's my thing.  It was really too bad that AO-40 lost mode-U/V.  This is
the bread-n-butter for HEO sats.

Soon there will be another mode-U/S and L/S satellite to allow those of us
that acquired the gear for those modes.

I will soon be retired living mainly on SS so trying to get everything
bought and working before-hand :-)

73's,
Ed - KL7UW  <new call>