Re: Why V/S in stead of U/S

Margaret Leber said:

> No big deal *IF* you have a downconverter with a UHF IF (which would
> have been useless with AO-40 without an extra UHF receiver). Having
> *two* S downconverters, one on UHF and one on VHF could be even better
> than one, even one with a switchable IF.  (I have two Drakes, but
> they're both 2880s, with VHF IF.)  I even had one helpful person suggest
>  in a private email I install a 10m-2m transmit converter.

It's no big deal if you change the crystal to 7.68 MHz in one of your
Drakes.  I mentioned this to JN1GKZ years ago, and it's documented here
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/m-arai/gkz/sband/mod32e.htm

The Drake required no IF mods if you converted to the 430 MHz IF and the
crystal is commonly available at DigiKey, etc.

> My point is that if the price-of-entry for each new satellite adds to
> the cost and complexity of existing ground stations, the incentive to
> use them will be reduced. It's too late to avoid that for AO-51
> S-downlink. Let's try to keep it in mind in the future.

It wasn't the price of entry, you wanted to operate a new mode and you
need different equipment to do it.  AO-51 already supported equipment that
most hams had...

73
Mike W4LNA