Re: Why V/S in stead of U/S

Edward R. Cole wrote:

> FT-847 to 3-element Arrow clamped on my az-el crossboom for V-band uplink.
> 85cm dish w/ 5-1/4 turn helix feed, MKU-232A2 preamp to unmodified Drake
> outputing 435-MHz to FT-847
> I put the FT-847 in satellite mode.  No big deal.

No big deal *IF* you have a downconverter with a UHF IF (which would
have been useless with AO-40 without an extra UHF receiver). Having
*two* S downconverters, one on UHF and one on VHF could be even better
than one, even one with a switchable IF.  (I have two Drakes, but
they're both 2880s, with VHF IF.)  I even had one helpful person suggest
in a private email I install a 10m-2m transmit converter.

Obviously, rechanneling the uplink for an S-band downlink is a problem
that anybody can solve by throwing additional ground station equipment
at it. And if you already have a shack full of boxes you might luck out
and already have the right stuff available without additional cost other
than the reengineering to integrate it. That's not my point.

My point is that if the price-of-entry for each new satellite adds to
the cost and complexity of existing ground stations, the incentive to
use them will be reduced. It's too late to avoid that for AO-51
S-downlink. Let's try to keep it in mind in the future.

  73 de Maggie K3XS

--
-----/___.   _)Margaret Stephanie Leber CCP, SCJP/"The art of progress /
----/(, /|  /| http://voicenet.com/~maggie SCWCD/ is to preserve order/