Dayton, Transverters, S band antennas and a bunch of other stuff

Good Morning!!!

First off, I would like to congratulate the gang from Dayton -- you
folks did a wonderful job with the booth, and I really enjoyed meeting
all of you .  To the guys who ran the 10:30 demo with FO29 and AO51 --
NICE JOB, You showed me how easy it is do do some of that stuff, and I
was very impressed.

While at that demo, they showed off a little switchable transverter for
2.4 (I think it was)  they mentioned that it came from Italy, and could
be switched so the output was on either 440 band or 2 meters, can
someone enlighten me about this piece of equipment,  Also -- I noticed
that the S band antennas were much smaller than I had invisioned, I
would appreciate comments etc,  (they were using a small corner yagi,
and another guy there had a patch of some kind.

Right now, my shack consists of a Yaesu VX5-R, a VX 7R, an ICOM
706MKIIG, and an old Kenwood TS520.  I would really like to start
getting on the Sats, but like everyone, money is a problem.  My plan
right now is to build a set of Texas Potato Mashers (i cant afford an
EL/AZ rotor) and start trying to get on (right now all I have is a 2m /
440 vertical.  (But I did hear hamsat on it the other night, however i
havent yet heard AO51 --- Gotta keep workin on that one -- LOL

I heard someone mention a transverter that would go to 10m from either
440 or 2 m the other night, and i suspect that that might work nicely
for the Sideband birds, using my 706 for uplink and the TS520 for
downlink -- It has great ears, but I seem to have lost the e-mail

I guess what I need is some suggestions of directions etc, as well as
the most cost effective (read cheap) ways to get myself on the air.

Thanks for your time

Tim Holmes
Amateur Extra Operator - W8TAH