Re: Why V/S in stead of U/S

Steve Meuse wrote:

> So, we should build to the lowest common dinominator?

That's the argument we heard when S ended up being the only working
downlink on AO-40 (not by design, of course). I went to the additional
effort of adding S-band RX and was rewarded by (temporarily) being able
to work a new Molniya-orbit bird. I was able to do this because U/S was
relatively easy to add. V/S is not as easy.

Building birds to the "lowest common denominator" is one thing...but
having each new bird essentially require a new station is quite another.
Current satellite lifetimes may not justify turning over large amounts
of ground station equipment to participate in each new project.
Otherwise all new satellites could already be exclusively on microwave
frequencies.

Bear in mind that not all "common denominators" are ipso facto
"lowest"--some commonality is required or you end up talking only to
yourself.

  73 de Maggie K3XS

--
-----/___.   _)Margaret Stephanie Leber CCP, SCJP/"The art of progress /