Re: Why V/S in stead of U/S

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 16:54 -0400, Margaret Leber wrote:
> Andrew Glasbrenner wrote:
>
> > On a personal note, I don't know any sat ops with S band that do not
> > have a second 2m FM transmitter. Just about anything will work on the
> > uplink, demonstrated by the dozens of QSOs made on just 5 watts and a
> > rubber duck for uplinking during the last 2 V/S sessions. Visitors to
> > the Dayton Hamvention demonstrations can attest to this.
>
> On a personal note, *I* don't have a second 2m FM transmitter in my
> shack other than an HT unlikely to be heard from a satellite when indoors.

But you have a VHF antenna none of the less?  If so, a SMA to PL259 or
BNC to PL259 jumper or adapter will allow you to use the HT as the
uplink with the outdoor vhf antenna and use the radio with the s band
downconverter as the receiver.  Many hams were just using HT's at Dayton
to access the satellite in the V/S configuration.

$3.50-$5.00 isn't a huge station realignment.

Ryan KB0JQO