Re: S-band and rotator-only operations

Hi Bruce,

Glad to hear that you're getting bit by the S-band bug!  It is a fun mode to add to a satellite station.

For AO-51, and most likely SSETI Express, the antenna you describe below should be adequate.  What I would precaution you about though, is that for a HEO like AO-40 (and P3E, Eagle, etc.), you will probably want more gain.  So, it depends on your goals for your station.

Something to consider--the off-pointing of the narrow beam (dish) is offset to some degree by the higher gain of the antenna.  Something like a 24" (60 cm dish) is a good "compromise" between size/gain and beamwidth.

As for the rotor control---I'd suggest the G6LVB tracker (check Amsat-UK), the Satellite Tracker Jr., or you could homebrew one like I did:  http://webpages.charter.net/mlhammond/ham/SAEBRTrack/

I used a prior generation unit to control cheap TV rotators, and that code and schematic is still there.

73,

Mark N8MH

> From: Bruce Robertson <broberts@mta.ca>
> Date: 2005/05/23 Mon PM 01:09:46 EDT
> To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
> Subject: [amsat-bb] S-band and rotator-only operations
>
> I've greatly enjoyed  the S-band related discussions  that the last week's
> operations on AO-51 have generated. Until these reports, I had believed
> that S-band   would require a high gain and narrow beam antenna system, and
> thus an az-el pointing  system, which would be outside by budget in the
> near future. It seem now that a system around 10 dBi would work, and this
> is similar to the pattern of a 70cm antenna in a rotation-only system. Is
> anyone using S-band in this way?
>
> Secondly,  I wonder if there is some group wisdom on the cheapest working
> options for a automatic rotor control. I don't have a rotator or a
> controller and would be buying just for LEO purposes. For instance, Bob's
> archerotator hack is a wonderful application, but it seems only his
> APRS-related software supports it.
>
> 73, VE9QRP
> Bruce Robertson

Mark L. Hammond    [N8MH]