RE: FW: Elevation rotor question

Hi Jose,

Some tracking utilities are sufficiently clever to utilize the possibility
of 180 degree elevation rotors. A typical use would be for an overhead pass.

Assume that you need to track a perfect overhead pass: Start at Azimuth 0,
Elevation 0. Then moving to elevation 90 degree and finally to azimuth 180,
elevation 0.

An AZ/EL rotator system that can only do 90 degree elevation would move to
the starting azimuth, track in elevation to the zenith. After that it would
have to swing around 180 degrees in azimuth before it can start dropping in
elevation again.

Your elevation rotor can start at 0 degree elevation, move to 90 degrees and
then to 180 (which is in fact 0 degrees but in the opposite direction). No
need to swing around in azimuth.

Why is it marked 90-0-90? I don't know. What I do know is that it doesn't
really matter as it is only a convention for the meter scale; which by the
way you can change if that works better for you. The internal operation
isn't changed by the way the meter is indicating angles. I believe the
KR-500 exists with both 0-180 and 90-0-90 meter scales.

Setting it up should by based on the maximum down position: let the rotator
run to the stop with the down switch. That becomes your 0 degree elevation.

Hope this helps,

--
/\/\arc
ON4AMV