From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On Behalf
Of Edward R. Cole
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 10:56 AM
To: Amsat
Subject: [amsat-bb] L and S-band antennas on ISS/Columbia Lab

ANS-142 Bulletin reported that the ESA Columbia Lab module to be launched
with the Space Shuttle to ISS will incorporate ham antennas for L and S-band
in the form a patch antenna on the nadir side to the module (pointed down to
Earth).  They noted  that insufficient space was available for VHF/UHF
antennas.

Continuous operation including wideband and ATV are cited.  The antennas are
scheduled for installation Aug. 2005 and no launch date was specifically
mentioned, but soon we could have another microwave satellite (ISS).

ARISS Europe is asking for ham support for the cost of the antenna system
(80,000 EU).  The 100,000 EU installation costs are fully funded by ESA.
ARISS has to meet a 40,000 euro deadline in June and has so far raised 9,000
EU.

I would guess is you would like to support a mode-L/S satellite system, this
is it!  ISS is in low earth orbit.  With recent success of mode-S contacts
on AO-51 I believe the advantages of "L/S" should be apparent. This
certainly is another good use for your AO-40 mode-L/S station!

73's,
Ed - KL7UW  <new call>