L and S-band antennas on ISS/Columbia Lab

ANS-142 Bulletin reported that the ESA Columbia Lab module to be launched
with the Space Shuttle to ISS will incorporate ham antennas for L and
S-band in the form a patch antenna on the nadir side to the module (pointed
down to Earth).  They noted  that insufficient space was available for
VHF/UHF antennas.

Continuous operation including wideband and ATV are cited.  The antennas
are scheduled for installation Aug. 2005 and no launch date was
specifically mentioned, but soon we could have another microwave satellite
(ISS).

ARISS Europe is asking for ham support for the cost of the antenna system
(80,000 EU).  The 100,000 EU installation costs are fully funded by ESA.
ARISS has to meet a 40,000 euro deadline in June and has so far raised
9,000 EU.

I would guess is you would like to support a mode-L/S satellite system,
this is it!  ISS is in low earth orbit.  With recent success of mode-S
contacts on AO-51 I believe the advantages of "L/S" should be apparent.
This certainly is another good use for your AO-40 mode-L/S station!

73's,
Ed - KL7UW  <new call>