Software for Uni_Trac

Is there anyone using a software package with the serial port version of
Uni_Trac that will address it directly without using the software that
comes with it. I have been using it now for about 6 months and it has
problems that I would like to stop having to deal with.  I thought Nova was
going to be the answer but after trying the demo version I found out it
runs with the DDE interface. Sure wish someone could offer a suggestion.
Thanks >> John