Re: Hamsat beacon power?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Fletcher" <michael.fletcher@oh2aue.pp.fi>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Hamsat beacon power?

> >Hi
>
>  >Does anyone please know the output power of the Hamsat VO-52 carrier
>  >beacon on 145.936? It was always weak but I haven't heard it on passes
>  >since Friday. I know the transponder is powerful at 1W but think the
>  >beacon may be less than 20 mW, and possibly decreasing....  any info
>  >to -bb or callsignATamsst-bb
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> I have also noted the apparently varying level of the beacon and I
> think that it is within the same ALC loop as the transponder, so if
> there is (and jolly well is) any overloading of the uplink, the power
> of the beacon will go down as well as the power levels of any other
> traffic using more sensible uplink powers. There unfortunately are
> quite a few stations that are hogging the transponder with way too
> much uplink EIRP - are these guys hard of hearing or what ???
>
>  >many thanks
>  >es 73
>
>  >andy G0SFJ
>
> Michael, OH2AUE
>
> P.S. been listening to HAMSAT successfully in my car whilst
> driving; copying SSB and CW is very easy when the satellite
> elevation is reasonable - using a 1/4 wave magmount whip and
> tuned 3SK121 homebrew preamp in front of my FRG-9600 scanner...
> ----

Hi Michael, OH2AUE

If you go to       http://www.qsl.net/pe1rah/HAMSAT-info.htm

there is a block diagram of VUSAT showing that the VHF-Low Telemetry
TX is injected in to a downlink combiner wich is connected at the output
of both the indian and duch transponders so that the power of the telemetry
beacon should not be affected by the ALC of transponder.
By the way in the block diagram is not specified if the VHF-Low Telemetry
beacon is the actual carrier- continuous  beacon at 145.940 MHz of the
indian transponder or the CW-modulated beacon at 145.860 MHz of
the duch transponder,or both.
I believe that William, PE1RAH should supply additional informations.

Best 73" de

i8CVS Domenico