Exciting School Opportunity

All,

On behalf of the ARISS-International team, it is my pleasure to let you
know of an exciting school education opportunity.  As of a couple of days
ago, the ARISS team got permission from the ISS Program Office (US and
Russia) to proceed forward with the delivery of the  Space Suit satellite
project that was discussed at the 2004 AMSAT Symposium.

We will be providing you all more details about Suitsat in the near
future.  (Insert plug for AMSAT Forum at the Dayton Hamvention where we
plan to roll this out---see us on Saturday May 21.)

In the meantime, we have an excellent opportunity for Schools and Students
called "School Spacewalk."  I have included below a description of this
initiative to get the ball rolling.  You can also see a word version of
this (that can be downloaded) at the following URL:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ariss/Papers/School%20Spacewalk%20Suitsat%20Final.doc

Please forward this information on to schools in your area.  Most
importantly, take some initiative to get these schools interested in the
Amateur Radio hobby and amateur space communication.

On behalf of the ARISS team, we look forward to some real excitement as
Suitsat gets ready for deployment off the ISS this fall.

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
ARISS International Chairman

Attention Schools!!
Would your school like to participate in a spacewalk??
Here is an outstanding opportunity!!

Background:

In the fall of 2005, a Russian spacesuit is expected to be deployed from
the International Space Station.  This deployment is expected to occur
during a spacewalk currently planned in mid-September.  Once deployed, the
spacesuit will orbit the Earth for several weeks until it burns up as it
enters the Earth's atmosphere.

The Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) team has
received permission to include a special compact disk on-board this
spacesuit with school artwork included.  As a result, participating schools
will have an opportunity to "fly" their artwork as part of the spacewalk.

To participate, schools should develop a 1 page piece of artwork that
uniquely represents your school.  This could be an artist's representation
of the school, a list of student names, student signatures, a school
science project summary or a school mission patch.  This artwork should be
primarily developed by the students.  The goal is for you to use your
imagination and engage your students in the development of the artwork.

The page, as delivered, should not exceed 8.5x11 inches ( 216x279 mm) so
that it can be easily scanned onto the compact disk.  Schools can also take
a digital photograph of their art work and send this in.  If you elect to
take a digital photograph, we ask that this be in jpg format and not exceed
2 megs in size.  No other formats can be accepted.

Delivery Specifics:

All entries need to be received prior to June 15 2005 to be included on the
compact disk.  The disk will be delivered to Russia in late June, flown to
the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan and launched on the 19P Progress
vehicle currently planned for August 2005.

8.5x11 inch page artwork can be mailed to the following address:
School Spacewalk
c/o AMSAT
                                     850 Sligo Ave.
                                     Suite 600
                                     Silver Spring, MD  20910-4703

Jpg images, no greater than 2 megs, using the naming
format  "schoolname_location.jpg"  can be e-mailed
to:  <mailto:schoolspacewalk@comcast.net>schoolspacewalk@comcast.net

The ARISS team looks forward to your artwork and is pleased to provide this
opportunity to school students around the world!!