Re: PSK 31 Trial

Aw shucks.  Missed another one...
I wish there had been an announcement here
on the BB that there was to be a PSK31 test
on AO51...   Bob

>>> "Jeff VanMeter" <jvanmetr@netpluscom.com> 5/17/2005 11:28:13 PM

Hello,

I made several calls on the PSK 31 mode tonight.  I was running full
duplex
with two computers.  I was using the program TrueTTY.  Saw one other
signal,
but could not identify source.  I was able to get my call though just
in
pieces and grid locator using full duiplex.  I tried to manually adjust
the
dopler on the up link, but could not be persice enough.  I was also
running
AFC on the downlink, but that did not help a lot either.

I wonder if it would be worth a try using RTTY 45 baud.  This should
have
less of a need for fine dopler correction.   I did run CW through the
bird.
It is a narrow band digital mode by definition and could make out the
down
link OK with that.

Anyway, it was fun to try.  Maybe someone can try the RTTY mode and
make a
report if that is an acceptable narrow band mode???  I will not be able
try again this time as I will be at work tomorrow.  We should be able
to get
a couple of sigs through the bird at the same time.  Not as many as
would be
permissible with PSK, but maybe useful data could be exchanged.  It may
also
gove a chance to learn the dopler correction method better.

Thanks for a try on an interesting mode.  Hope others had better
success.

Jeff
KA8HQL
----
Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the
author.
Not an AMSAT member? Join now to support the amateur satellite
program!