Deja Vu, Mode B (VU-SAT)

HAMSAT/VO-52 sure isn't taking much for very good downlink signals, and the
transponder downlink audio quality is amazing! (I know a lot of people are
using a lot less than I am listing below. My point is a lot of us have stuff
equivalent to my list below just laying around....dust it off, guys!)

Uplink: 10w > Diplexor > 80' LMR-400 > Diplexor > 8 el vert polarized quad

Downlink: Gasfet Preamp > Diplexor > 80' LMR-400 > Diplexor > 4 el vert pol
quad

The quad is a dual band concentrically nested quad, rear mounted.

The preamp is the gasfet preamp built into my TE-Systems 2m brick amp in the
shack...surprisingly it does help even at the end of the 80' run of LMR-400
coax.

On my FT-847 with internal preamp on and gasfet on, the noise level is about
1/2 S-Unit. HAMSAT is S7 most of the pass. Very easy copy.

Why do I say this is "easy"?

Very small beams/quads, existing preamps are common in 2m brick amps, and
HAMSAT has a heck of a signal.

A lot of sat users have this kind of stuff laying around from prior sat use.
I see very little polarization fading on HAMSAT, even with linearly
polarized antennas. What there is doesn't present much of a problem. I
haven't even bothered using my CP-30 uplink antenna yet (14.2 dB RHC), as
the linear antenna is doing so well.
I'm betting egg-beater up and down with antenna mounted preamp and a little
more tx power would be a breeze with this bird.

I forgot how much "fun" it was to do manual rotor az/el and doppler at the
same time one is trying to have a conversation.

Since I put the data in SatPC32 and let it control the FT-847, Hamsat is a
piece of cake. Now it's just approximate the rotors....and away we go.

Not to restart a pointless debate, but even though I have made many contacts
via FM birds, it never really felt like "satellite operation". This kind of
bird is what got me into amsats in the first place (the original AO-6 and
AO-7 before rebirth). I now "feel" like I'm doing "satellite" stuff
again...purely subjective, but real to me.

As Yogi said, "It's deja vu all over again."

73
hasan schiers, N0AN

schiers@netins.net
or use amsat.org or arrl.net remailer