Re: CAT-questions

Hi Dave and Alf

I agree in part with both of you because back in the old OSCAR 6/7/8 having
not computers available to track satellites we used the OSCARLOCATOR in
one's knees looking at the wrist watch and moving the AZ/EL every minute by
hand tuning at the same time by hand the TX knob for best SSB copy while
switching TX/RX by a foot switch making lots of contacts on LEO satellites
and it was fun for several years.

I am not against the computer to fully control the tracking and doppler
shift nowadays but I realize that having computers and sophisticated
software available to control lots of things in the ground station without
to know exacly and deeply why those function happens in my opinion the
satellite ham in general is becoming more a satellite user than before
because when every function is solved by computer control without to
know why it happens than this controlled organ or this science used for it
becomes to be unknown by the most part of the people as to be an
endangered species.

As an old satellite operator I believe that I'am getting lazy to uptodate my
mentality to nowadays technology but I guess that also the new operators are
lazy to uptodate their knoledge in the aeon of the old days of satellite
amateur radio as we live in different world.

73" de

i8CVS Domenico