Re: FO-29 mobile operations

Hello again my friends, I would like to explain you my experience.
Basically I use the TH-F7E for two reasons:

1- I can hold it out of the car thru the drivers window while seated and
with the same hand moving the HT looking for the best polarization (best RX
signal) and with the fingers on the encoder tunning the doppler shift. I can
use the other hand to hold the mic (or even to tune the uplink if you use a
hands-free mic installation) and it is self-powered (does not require
external power supply)

2-After trying other portable UHF SSB receivers I choose the TH-F7E because
it has a very good sensitivity and does not suffer desense when I transmit
in VHF. I have tried other receivers with the following results:
-AOR AR8000 is (much) less sensitive in UHF SSB than the TH-F7E
-Icom IC-R10 is equal in sensitivity with the AR8000
-Yaesu FT-817 has much better SSB filters than the TH-F7E, but, when I
transmit in VHF, the receiver suffer a very strong overload (S9) making it
COMPLETELY unusable (is like working half duplex). Other disavantage is the
size and weigth of the rig to move and tune it with one hand.

The procedure appears to be complicated, but when you adquire experience it
is easy and a fun challenge. It is very important to put the car with the
drivers side to the satellite path.
This setup also works with the FM birds like a champ.
Every mobile station with a multimode VHF rig or with a multiband
transceiver (like a IC-706, FT-857, etc) installed in the car could work
satellites if the operator have a SSB HT in the shirt pocket (of course you
must stop the car in the side of the road to do that... hi hi)
I would like to thank from this BB to all stations that answer my call and
the patient to work me from mobile.

Best wishes to all from Spain and good luck on satellites

Pedro EB4DKA
www.eb4dka.tk