Re: AO-51 SSB/FM report from Europe

At 09:39 AM 5/12/2005 -0400, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>>This is about the worst I have ever heard on
>>any satellite :-(... IMHO this mode is no good.
>>When we work FM/FM at least we know that
>>there can be only one QSO at the time. Working
>>SSB up and FM down that is not the case.
>
>True, but there is some advantage over FM, in
>that two stations that actually ARE in QSO can
>complete it more quickly be talking and interjecting
>through the other persons transmissions.  If they
>are operating full duplex (they should be) then
>this makes the LINK sound just like a TELEPHONE
>conversation with both able to talk at the same
>time.
>
>I'd think that it would be about a 50% improvement
>over FM because of this full-duplex-dual-simultaneous
>ability to speak...
>
>de Wb4APR, Bob
>----

And...I would add that not all stations are tuned exactly the same
frequency due to Doppler which helps differentiate the stations more.
Since no one "captures" the channel as in FM, they are more aware that
others are calling and perhaps this will lead to more cooperation in taking
turns to get QSO's accomplished (optimist aren't I).  I found it not too
bad here (but I am at an extreme north edge of the population density so
that lessens the number of signals for half the pass).

Only those running simplex radios still can cause much interference due to
not being aware with whom they are sharing the channel. Of course, I can
not know how much density of activity exists over Europe so experience may
be different over there.

Hamsat (VO-52) offers a much different experience and should offer a nice
alternative to one-channel FM operating!  Good experience to brush up
operating skills for the next HEO!!!  Of course let's not forget FO-29 is
still here.

73's,
Ed - KL7UW  <new call>