Re: Hamsat 1840 UTC Pass

Hi Folks,

I got up on the roof today and hooked a bunch of cables, so I got my first
listen to Hamsat.  Listening with 3-elem Arrow attached to my satellite
crossboom and 50-foot of RG213 to the FT-847 did not produce very strong
signals (need the preamp) but I heard several ssb contacts in progress.
Keeping up with Doppler was a challenge so I definitely need to work on
installing my Unitrac-2000.

I noticed many of the signals were distorted, and now realize I was hearing
FMing of their signal.  I briefly keyed up my transmitter and heard myself.
 I was running 15w thru 50-foot of RG-213 (probably about 5w) to a 3/4 WL
whip over a ground-plane.

I still have a bunch of stuff to put up in the new Hoffman box (preamps for
144-432-1296 and 60w PA for 432, T/R relays and 12v PS).  But I have my
s-band convertors and 5-turn helix/preamp back up on the 85cm dish.  Three
more coax runs and I will soon be back to full operation.

73's Ed - KL7UW