Re: AO51 S band

>Anyone know what polarisation the S band TX on AO51 is?

There's a photo of the antenna on page 7 of the Spring 2004 update
article by W2GPS, which can be found at
http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/OSCAR-E_Status_Report_5.pdf

 From that picture, it seems clear that the S-band downlink must be
linearly polarized.

>I plan to run V/S mode mobile but need to build a roof mounted patch antenna
>of the correct sense.

If the downlink is linear, a circularly-polarized antenna of either
sense will be equally fine.

With a linear (but time-varying) downlink and a circular receive
antenna you give up a little peak performance but you get immunity
from cross-polarization fading, which is a net win.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org