Re: Echo on FD

Um.....there *IS* no U band uplink on AO-51.

Analog Uplink:
145.920 MHz FM (PL - 67Hz)
145.880 MHz FM (QRP, No PL)
1268.700 MHz FM (PL - 67Hz)

Analog Downlink:
435.300 MHz FM
2401.200 MHz FM

There is a lot to be said for having the ability to use 435 MHz as the IF.  Or, you can use two HT's to work AO-51 on Field Day (big deal).

I plan to set up a portable V/U/S satellite station at our Field Day site.  I guarantee you that it will get lots of attention when I work AO-51 off a G3RUH patch on 2.4 GHz!

73,

Mark N8MH <- See? I managed to communicate that and not even call anybody an idot! :)

At 01:57 PM 5/7/2005 -0400, sco@sco-inc.com wrote:
>Whose brillant idea was it to put AO-51 on V/S mode for Field Day?  Mode U/S I could understand but not V/S. Are these the same idiots who decided we users didn't need an easy to view/understand op grid schedule on the Amsat welcome page?
>
>My S Band downconverter does have a 2m IF. I had not intended to be on any S band sats for FD this year and guess now i won't be on Echo either. Oh well there is Hamsat and FO-29 and SO-50, enough to keep me busy.
>
>There is enough trouble to haul the satellite gear out to FD but now someone in Amsat decides to make it even a greater burden. Guess I am staying home this year and operate out of my backyard, a better site anyway, all things considered for field Day this year.
>

>Les
>W4SCO

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]