Re: Tower height

The need to "clear" the trees is overated.  There is very little attenuation
at 2 meters and the losses at 430 MHz are tolerable.  The trees will help
protect your antennas from high winds.  Of course at L band and S band it is
another story, but most of the L and S band birds you will want to work will
have high orbits and if there is a little space around your antennas your
take off angle should be good.  If you are going to throw that kind of money
around, I'd buy one of the crank ups, and mount it so it could easily be
removed and resold.  Then you can report your results here!

The other option is to top one of your trees and use it as a mount
(commercial hardware for this does exist).  I have read several accounts of
this being done with fairly large HF beams, so it should work for satellite
gear.

73 and Good Luck,
Joe