Re: Newbie needs advice on Yaesu VX-5R and FT-60

VX-5R vs. FT-60

I have both radios.  I have not tried to work satellites with either
one,  although my daughter and I have listened for the ISS with the
Ft-60 and have easily heard packet bursts with the stock duckie antenna
on passes well above the horizon.

Let me offer my $0.02 worth.  In my experience, the FT-60 has MUCH much
better intermod immunity/adjacent channel rejection.  If I take my VX-5r
into downtown Houston, the police & fire department transmitters
overwhelm it and make listenting to 444 mhz repeaters unpleasant.  With
the VX-5 set to the 444.300 IRLP node, I might  as well be tuned to the
Houston Police dispatch frequency. I hear dispatch perfectly. On the
other hand, the FT-60 seems pretty much immune.

My Ft-60 just went stone deaf on UHF, and has been shipped back to
Vertex/Yeasu for warranty repairs. Having switched back to my VX-5
temporarily, I realize I like the FT-60 much better. The intermod issue
alone makes me recommed the FT-60 over the VX-5 any day.

Also, I like the "user interface" of the  FT-60r better, seems easier to
program and use than the VX-5. The FT-60 has plenty-o-memories, and
handles them well in flexible groups. I'm not sure if the VX-5 can do
the same.

One aspect of the VX-5 that is nicer, is the two line display. With the
VX-5 you can show both frequency and a memory channel name at the same
time.  With the FT-60 it is one or the other, although the display is
larger. The keypad on the FT-60 is larger and better laid out.

The VX-5 comes stock with an incredibly wimpy excuse for a belt clip.
Yaesu should be ashamed. The FT-60 is built on the same basic chassis as
their commercial radios and has a heavy duty commercial belt clip and
the standard battery used on recent Vertex commercial radios --> so, I
expect battery packs to be easy to find.  In general the FT-60 gives the
impression of a much more solid radio, plainly  related to Vertex
commercial handhelds.

Although the VX-5 is smaller, the FT-60 is not significantly larger and
the size difference is not significant for me.  If anything, I 'm
inclined to think that the VX-5 might be too small for comfortable use.

For either radio, you would just program in the apropriate VHF & UHF
frequency pairs for cross band operation for LEO satellites or ISS.
With either radio, you really want to do this by software if you want
really load the radio up with channels . For the Ft-60 you want FT-60
Commander, which is full featured and free. The same guy made a VX-5
program, which is much more basic. The VX-5 program has not been updated
in ages,  FT-60 commander appears to be actively supported by the
author. FT-60 commander is at least as good, if not better than (paid)
commercial software.

Same programming cable works for both radios, and also works for at
least some of the Vertex commercial radios (such as VX-400, VX-210 and
VX-10).

Go here for for FT-60 Commander: http://www.kc8unj.com/index.html

As far as I can tell, neither radio does full duplex. If I were buying a
new radio today, it would definitely be a Ft-60 over the VX-5. .

Robert Rice
WB5PKN