Re: AO7

I have seen on a few occasions where the satellite was in Mode B and an extremely strong uplink signal caused the entire downlink to FM, and the satellite signal disappeared. The following is speculation based on observation. What may be happening is that with a poor illumination due to either angle or spin, or some other factor, a user is drawing the voltage down enough to cause a "reset" like a mini eclipse. The satellite may or may not restart in a different mode (there are 4 if I recall, A, B, C which is low power B, and D which is some combination of beacons). Next time it happens I'd be curious if anyone hears it come up in another mode immediately.

73, Drew KO4MA

-----Original Message-----
From: Piero Calvi-Parisetti <pcalvi@bluewin.ch>
Sent: May 2, 2005 4:11 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] AO7

Hello everybody,

I have a question: AO7 signals vary A LOT from day to day, and a few minutes
ago it "died" on me in the middle of a qso (30+ degrees elevation, full sunlight)
- what is the reason?

I thought that every time the bird would wake up it would do so in "full
power". Is there still a power control system working? And if that is the
case, what does it base its "decisions" on? There are no more batteries to
measure... Do solar panels give a wide range of voltage?

Thanks for your wisdom.

73 Piero HB9DSU

*** Music, ham radio and more - http://www.qsl.net/hb9dsu ***