Satellites like ships?

A satellite builder of my acquaintance has recently started referring to his
spacecraft as a "her". I know that ships and boats are usually referred to
using the female tense but is this usual for a satellite?

When questioned he says that he has spent so many hours creating it from a
few pieces of aluminium honeycomb etc over the past 15 months that he feels
like it is "his baby!"............

Serious and not serious answers equally welcome - perhaps better off list!

thanks

Graham G3VZV