Re: Ron Broadbent MBE, G3AAJ, SK

It was with great sadness and shock that I learnt of Ron's sudden death.

I first met Ron in 1982, probably when I visited the AMSAT-UK stand at the
Leicester Amateur Radio Exhibition.  At that time I was getting interested
in Amateur Satellites, but couldn't take an active part, owing to a job and
house move.  However, encouraged by Ron, I joined AMSAT-UK the following
year, when I was able to set up my station, and restart Amateur Radio
activities.

Thinking back to those early days, nearly all UK satellite activities
involved Ron in one way or another. He was secretary and treasurer of
AMSAT-UK, as well as editor of OSCAR News.  This also involved running the
AMSAT shop, which provided us with the many goodies needed for our hobby,
such as books, tracking aids, hardware kits and eventually computer
software.

Ron's voice became very well known in the UK for his role as controller of
the AMSAT 80 metre net. Held three times weekly, on Sunday mornings, and
Monday & Wednesday evenings. This was our main source of the latest
satellite information, in the days before we had the internet, and few of
us had home computers.

In 1985 Ron took early retirement, so that he could devote the next ten
years of his life to AMSAT-UK. The following year he organised the first
AMSAT Colloquium at the University of Surrey. Now in it's 20th year, it
quickly became a popular annual event, attracting satellite enthusiasts
from all over the world.

Ron's hard work and achievements were recognised in 1995, when he was
awarded an MBE in the UK Prime Minister's Civil Honours List.

Following his gradual retirement from the AMSAT-UK committee, he was able to
devote the remainder of his life to his many interests, inspite of
suffering poor health in recent years.

My sincere condolences go out to Beryl and Family.

73

	 Clive    G3CWV

         Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK.