Re: EL-84 and National Parks

Hi Scott,

  I have been following the problems that you had with the National Park Service.  I am interested because I plan to operate satellite and QRP portable from Yellowstone NP  in September.  I will make a suggestion that you contact the Office of the Superintendent for the National Park Service and detail your problem to them in writing.  It doesn't hurt to copy your local congressman or US Senator either and ask them to follow up with the NPS Superintendent.

 Here is what I found in the NPS web site at  http://www.nps.gov/policy/DOrders/DOrder53.html  concerning antennas in National Park sites.

10.3 Telecommunication Antenna Sites. Director's Order 53A, 'Wireless Telecommunications,' is hereby rescinded and replaced by the applicable provisions of this Director's Order. The NPS will comply with the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and any other policies, requirements, or instructions that are applicable to the Service. In complying, superintendents will:
Encourage preliminary meetings with telecommunication industry companies who wish to discuss pending or proposed applications for sites in the park to explain park concerns and understand industry timeframes.
Encourage meetings with the applicants during the post application decision process as necessary, but especially if the manager is considering denying the application. Such meetings should take place prior to written notification of denial.
Consider the safety of the visiting public when reviewing telecommunication site applications, including the potential benefit of having telephone access to emergency law enforcement and public safety services.
Ensure that, when an application is submitted, the park replies in writing within 10 business days with an initial response on the application, and that response will be ‘yes’ (probably a known categorical exclusion requiring very minor additional information to be submitted), ‘no’ (with reasons in writing), or ‘maybe’ (with additional information to be submitted).
Ensure that, to the extent possible, the timeline and detailed steps enumerated in Reference Manual 53 are followed and the permit is issued or denied.
Ensure that compliance actions and reviews will be conducted expeditiously and consistent with all applicable statutes.
A telecommunication use is considered a utility and, like other utilities on NPS lands, will be authorized using the right-of-way permit process described in Reference Manual 53. 16 USC 5 will be used as the authority to permit telecommunication antenna sites.

  You will note that there is no provision for amateur radio activities included in the directors orders.  They will treat hams like one of the phone companies!  We are now a utility.  The ranger may have read this order and strictly applied it to amateur radio as though we were a commercial service.

Ed Collins
N8NUY
-------------- Original message from ScottOlitsky@aol.com: --------------