Re: An Apology to the Group

Roger Kolakowski wrote:
> After reading my response concerning the zealous Park Ranger, I realize that
> I over reacted to what has become a daily situation in the US after 9/11.
>
> I'm the one who gets frustrated with the TSA at the airports, the police who
> already know EVERYTHING about you and your vehicle before they stop you and
> the myriad of people who want to know my mother's maiden name and the last 4
> digits of my SSN. How can it be a "secret" if everyone I talk to confirms it
> with me?
>
> So...as no justification at all...just before I read about the Park Ranger,
> I was reading a mailed flyer from the local Conservation Commission. They
> ask that every resident seek prior review for "new landscaping, tree
> removal, vegetation clearing, and regarding of your property. Now mind you,
> I don't live in a city; we have 2 acre zoning and my 2 acres has "thousands"
> of trees. A small percent die every year and I cut them up for firewood for
> my use during the winter.
>
> So here comes the Park Ranger....I don't advocate the overthrow of the
> government....just the careful, sane understanding of the laws that do
> exist.
>
> If the US government can "arbitrarily" restrict where I can use my FEDERALLY
> ISSUED radio license, under the guise of "he didn't know any better," we as
> US amateurs are taking a big step backward.
>
> What does this have to do with satellites? Only that every "mobile" or
> remote operation shouldn't have to pave their own way.... In the 60's we
> needed Civil Defense stickers to grease the skids...what do we need in this
> millennium?
>
> I guess I'm still aggravated, but I apologize for bringing it up here.
>
> Roger
> WA1KAT
> ----
I've been holding my thoughts until there have been enough comments to
where mine make some sense.  I've been hassled beyond all reason in the
Los Padres National Forest as well.  At the time, before 911, we knew we
needed a permit to operate from the bowels of Death Vally.  We submitted
the request and after three weeks without a reply had to resubmit.  Yes,
eventually we got the permit, got hasselled again on site, produced the
papers sent us AND WERE STILL ASKED TO LEAVE!!  The arrogance of these
"public servants" is outstanding!  I think the final step has to be
taken, that is the one in which the ranger in Florida has asked proper
questions AND ask the ARRL to be sure through political channels, ham
radio and federal licensing is recognized.  Let us not just drop the
subject by relating bad experiences!!    Cliff K7RR