GPS gurus: default sentences?

Folks

Along with a number of other functions, I am adding in a GPS interface to a
new portable version of the LVB Tracker so that the tracker knows where it
is, and so can make preditcions without the user having to manually plug in
their location and/or time.

In order to have the broadest appeal, I want to be able to interface to any
old GPS device. Assuming I can read the NMEA sentences, are there 'default'
sentences that GPS units must deliver to determine both position and
date/time?

Failing that, what are the most common sentences?

The $GPRMC sentence seems to provide everything except altitude.
The $GPGGA sentence provides everything apart from the date.

TIA.

73, Howard G6LVB