From: Reicher, James <JReicher@hrblock.com>
To: Freeman P. Pascal IV <pascal@pascal.org>; Edward R. Cole <al7eb@acsalaska.net>
Cc: ScottOlitsky@aol.com; amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:16:12 -0500
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] EL84

Freeman, et al,

You're referring to the following:

97.13 Restrictions on station location.
(a) Before placing an amateur station on land of environmental importance or
that is significant in American history, architecture or culture, the licensee
may be required to take certain actions prescribed by  1.1305-1.1319 of this
chapter.

and

 1.1307 Actions that may have a significant environmental effect, for
which Environmental Assessments (EAs) must be prepared.
(a) Commission actions with respect to the following types of facilities may
significantly affect the environment and thus require the preparation of
EAs by the applicant (see  1.1308 and 1.1311) and may require further
Commission environmental processing (see  1.1314, 1.1315 and 1.1317):
(1) Facilities that are to be located in an officially designated wilderness
area.
(2) Facilities that are to be located in an officially designated wildlife
preserve.
(3) Facilities that: (i) May affect listed threatened or endangered species or
designated critical habitats; or (ii) are likely to jeopardize the continued
existence of any proposed endangered or threatened species or likely to result
in the destruction or adverse modification of proposed critical habitats, as
determined by the Secretary of the Interior pursuant to the Endangered Species
Act of 1973.

In reading through subsequent portions of section 1, it would appear that
Scott's operation would not be subject to the above requirements.  The ranger
would appear to be, perhaps, a little overzealous, but still not as bad as the
Zoning Police in Leawood!  Scott, how DID you get permission for that set-up in
your part of town?!?  :)

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO