Re: EL84

At 09:24 PM 4/25/2005 -0400, ScottOlitsky@aol.com wrote:
>My apologies to anyone who was looking for me today.  As I was assembling my
>Arrow antenna, the park Ranger came over to me and asked me what I was
doing.
>After describing my activity, I was told to stop immediately and that I
could
>not broadcast without a special national park permit.  After futile attempts
>to explain more, I got nowhere and shut down for the day.  I am checking
into
>this tomorrow.  I have operated from several parks and even demonstrated to
>Rangers at some.  Is this correct?  Has anyone else experienced this?
>
>Scott  AC3A
>----

Scott,

Very frustrating!  The ranger is out of line, as long as your activity is
not bothering any other activity in direct proximity to your operating
location.  Parks have no authority to regulate operation of radio
equipment, arbitrarly.  If radio emissions are a hazard to something in
that location, then a simple explanation was owed to you.  We should not
treat adults like children (in fact one should always explain to children
the "why" of rules and discipline).

Next time ask for the Rangers name and office phone number and his
superior's name and number.  If he refuses, then note his description and
name tag (most wear name badges) and his park vehicle license number (note
location, date and time...the park should know who was driving the vehicle
at that time).

Follow up by contacting the park district office and work your way up the
chain of command.  If this does not result in an reasonable explanation
and/or apology, then contact your US representative and Senator and relate
how you were treated.  You might also contact Riley Holingsworth's office
for their reaction.

Too often rangers emphasize law enforcement without considering that the
Nat'l Parks belong to the people for their recreation and enjoyment.  Park
rangers use to empahsize interpretation and safety over enforcement (parks
were supposed to be place one could excape the madness of the city!).

If this was a state park then adjust accordingly.
In my opinion the ranger was a bully and his behaviour was out of line for
his profession.

73's Ed - KL7UW
73's,
Ed - KL7UW  <new call>