Pre amp use with Arrow antenna...

John:
I hope the pre amp you are thinking of using is RF switched, and your Arrow has the duplexer inside the handle, otherwise you will have problems.

If the pre amp does have RF switching, then you should be fine, and I would try to attach it at the feedpoint of the UHF antenna, along the boom to help eliminate pattern distortion of both the VHF uplink and UHF downlink signals.

ARR makes a great amp, and I've used them from 2M all the way to 860 Mhz on trunking systems.

Good luck getting more bang for your buck with the Arrow, I just assembled my first one sunday, and had a blast with it on the sunday evening pass.
I realized quite fast, that I had to rotate the antenna constantly while talking, recording and writing calls down(thanks to the patience of W0SAT, VE4WMK).

The Arrow works great 'barefoot', but I think I will follow your steps and try an RF switched amp inline as well for the D/L, but I will probably have to attenuate the output level some as the antenna gain and amp gain may cause image products to be generated and possible distortion of the signal as well.......I'll see what happens.

Good luck!
I hope to work you on AO-51 soon!
73!
Ernest A. Erickson, ka9uce, EN55