preamp or not

My new arrow antenna should be here tomorrow. After the sorry result I had
from Nagshead last year I decided to try one of these this year. I will be
there the second week in June. Back to my question. Those that are using it
would you comment on weather you are using a preamp and if so what flavor.
If you are not please comment on your results without one. I have a ARR for
432 that I could use but would be interested in how good the antenna works
without it. I also understand the receiver has much to do with it so please
mention what you use.
Thanks for any comments. 73's << John