Re: AO 7 Contact frequency

Andrew,

I was interested in your suggestion, so decided to try
it tonight on it on the bird this evening. I noticed
that the transponder does get louder around that area
of the downlink, but it seemed to be clouded with
noise. I was working W7US, and at one point lost all
contact around 145.942 (which, after correcting for
Doppler at that precise moment, was very near the
145.940). After losing contact, I listened between
145.940 and 145.960. There seemed to be a lot of noise
coming from both those frequencies, but with little
noise in between. If you take the average, that puts
you right at 145.950 (and allows room for +/- Doppler
corrections--the hole you were refering to).

You are probably correct with your recommendation, but
I was wondering if anyone else happened to make the
same observation I did.

73,

Matt
KF6RTB

--- Andrew Glasbrenner <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> >Recent O7 users, please amplify this with any info
> you have available, and
> >the same to anyone with suggestions, always
> welcome.
>
> Like 435.850 on FO-29, 145.950 is sort of the
> defacto meeting place in the middle of the passband.
> It has been my experience that .940 or so is a good
> place to operate, with the transponder being several
> Db louder there it seems. Regardless of where you
> operate on the transponder, be aware of the noisy
> spots in the passband and look for the clear, clean
> holes in between them...
>
> Good Luck on the old girl. Just last night I
> listened to PH7PCF on ssb for a minute or so on a
> pass that was less than 1 degree of elevation here.
> I have nothing special for antennas, just the
> standard midsize RHCP type sat antennas, Icom
> preamps, and a 910 without the DSP, and in a very
> urban and tree filled neighborhood.
>
> 73, Drew KO4MA
> those of the author.
> satellite program!