Re: footprint edge to edge

Quoting Robert V Johnson <w7lrd@juno.com>:

> Hello All
> I just spent AOS to LOS on AO-7.  I had a rare opportunity to work into
> Northern Europe, for a few minutes anyway, from Seattle (CN87).  No one
> was there.  Is there or can there be a mutual "watering hole" frequency
> where we can establish such contacts.  With only a few precious minutes
> available such a concept would be nice to have.
>
> 73 Bob W7LRD
> Seattle

I agree.

My small amount of listening on AO-7 and FO-29 makes me believe that, under
current underutilized conditions, their bandwidth is a detriment to easy
use: one spends half the pass looking for where the sole cw signal is
pounding away at 'CQ'. Perhaps I'm just not aware of them, but recommended
frequencies, one for SSB one for CW, would make a great starting point,
especially if someone is limited to half-duplex operation. Operating
procedure would be like the usual CW QRP calling freq. on HF: you check
first before using it, but if there is going to be QRP activity, it will be
at least appear there.

I might further recommend that these fequencies be listed in one of the
FAQ's on http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/information/faqs/

73, Bruce
VE9QRP