re: amsat-bb] Recommendations for repair services?

Might I suggest that the IF is leaking out of the DC power or microphone connectors? As I recall those radios were pretty well shielded metal cases. Try isolating the DC power feeds, removing one microphone etc. Use a shortwave receiver and a small loop of wire to isolate the leaking circuitry. Probably the same cause on both radios. Then use ferrite beads on the affected lines. This does not sound like a normal repair issue.

    Message: 7
    Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:20:25 -0400
    From: ka8syx2003@aol.com
    Subject: [amsat-bb] Recommendations for repair services?

    Hi, can anyone recommend a quality rig repair service? After much
    testing and troubleshooting, I believe the problems I was and
    continue to experience with my FT-290R MkII and FT-790R MkII, about
    which I wrote to the BB earlier, are being caused by leakage of RF
    at the shared IF of the rigs, 13.9885MHz. This frequency is the
    first IF of the -290 and the second IF of the -790. --

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.