Re: Freq Adjust AO-51

Quoting Farrell Winder <fwinder@fuse.net>:

> Does anyone have a good scheme for easily  adjusting the frequencies on
> Yaesu 736R for both 2 m and 70 cm during a pass of AO-51? I am
> presently
> manually adjusting the freqs to compensate both the 2 m Tx  and 70 cm
> Rx.  Tnx
> any suggestions for tying the 2 bands together to  approximate a  pre
> established (and possibly automate)  the correct uplink  freq while
> adjusting
> for optimum downlink signal.  This appears to be  difficult as there
> will be
> some differences depending on the observer with relation to the
> footprint but
> the FM Mode of  AO-51 will be somewhat tolerant. .   Farrell Winder,
> W8ZCF
> Cincinnati, Ohio.

I don't have a 736, but I wonder if you need to adjust the downlink at all.
 My shiny new copy of Smith, _AO-51: Development, Operation and
Specifications_ suggests on p. 26 that "you can keep your radio on the
145.92 uplink frequency without changing it." With my handheld operations,
I've recently stopped adjusting uplink, and have been unable to observe any
detrimental effects.

As for the uplink, you might consider automating your doppler correction
using CAT control of the '736 and a computer program that does this sort of
thing.

73, VE9QRP

--
Bruce Robertson,
Dept. of Classics, Mount Allison University